Spanset Gotcha Constant Rate Descender Rescue Kit
Spanset Gotcha Rescue Kit CRD
The Gotcha CRD Reach kits are specifically configured for remote rescue from tall structures where the casualty may be suspended after falling and needs to be rescued quickly to avoid the effects of post fall suspension. The rescuer can remotely connect to the casualty without the need to descend to them and has the benefit of an automatic braking system to control the descent of the casualty when lowering them to ground level.
Coronavirus latest (dated 1st May): We are still open for business! Please click here for our full statement on our operations.
We pride ourselves on our excellent service and aim to despatch all orders promptly. If you order before 3pm Monday to Friday we will try to send it out that day, for next working day delivery. Orders:
- placed after 3pm Monday to Thursday will be processed the next day
- placed after 3pm on a Friday or at a weekend or on a Bank Holiday will be processed on the next working day
- Orders to the Highlands, Islands and Out of Area may be a two-day delivery and overseas will be longer
Please call us for time-critical orders, so we can process the order as a matter of urgency and confirm the delivery schedule.
All goods are subject to availability. If we can't supply your goods within 30 days from the date of order, we will inform you immediately and let you know the expected delivery date.
If you opt for a courier delivery, you will receive an email or text on the day we despatch your order, informing you that it is enroute. On the morning of delivery, at around 07:30, you will receive a further email or text giving you a 1-hour delivery time slot. Please therefore ensure that you have given us the correct mobile number and email address.
Couriers are extremely busy during Christmas and the sales, so please allow extra time.
We will not be held liable for any consequential loss caused by late or failed deliveries.
Timed deliveries / Saturday & Sunday deliveries
We can arrange timed deliveries for:
- pre-12 (midday)
- Saturday pre-10:30am
- Saturday pre-12 (midday)
- Sunday (anytime)
Some of the timed delivery options are available via the website, for others including a Sunday delivery, please call the office for a confirmed price and to arrange the alternate delivery.
Timed deliveries are subject to stock availability (we will contact you if any of your order is not in stock, so you can confirm if you would like us to split the delivery) and must be placed by 3pm Monday to Friday. Please call us if it's after 3pm as we may still be able to catch our couriers.
Spanset Gotcha Rescue Kit CRD
- Remote rescue. The rescuer uses a remote rescue pole and connector to reach and attach the kit to the casualty.
- This is a no-cut kit. The casualty is raised to release their original attachment. No risk of accidental release of casualty.
- Pre-assembled. No assembly is required by the user. Kits are packed ready to be used.
- Suitable for Lifting and Lowering the casualty to safety.
- Suitable for evacuation from high structures where constant rate lowering and minimal user input are required.
- Suitable for multiple evacuations. Once the first user has safely descended the system can be used by additional users in quick succession.
- Two person use. The Gotcha CRD is rated for loads up to 140kg with a Maximum Working Length of 200m.
- Certification EN 341:2011 1 (A); EN 1496: 2006/ A
Maintenance, Inspection and Lifespan.
How long will it last?
The lifespan of the “GOTCHA” CRD Kit is limited by the following:
- The product has a maximum shelf-life of 10 years from the date of manufacture.
- The product has a maximum service-life of 5 years from the date of first use.
- The lifespan may also be reduced by the effects of damage or wear and tear.
- The lifespan will cease at the point when any one of these conditions is met.
- The condition of the product must be controlled in accordance with BS8437:2005, this requires regular inspections to be carried out by a competent person.
- SpanSet can also environmentally seal kits that are going to be left in remote location where access to a trained equipment inspector may be limited.
Relevant Standard and Quality Assurance.
How has it been tested?
The “GOTCHA” CRD Kit is CE marked under the Personal Protective Equipment Directive.
The CE marking process includes independent testing to:
- EN341:1993 – Personal protective equipment against falls from a height. Descender devices.
- EN1496:1996 – Rescue Equipment. Rescue Lifting Devices.
- The SpanSet manufacturing process is quality con-trolled and audited by the British Standards Institute to the international standard for quality management ISO9001:2008.
Specification and Materials
What is it made from and why?
It comes Pre-assembled for quick set-up and use and making it simple to inspect. It is made using the following construction:
- Polyester Anchorage Sling Endless sling with 70kN MBS 100% sleeved construction.
- 9mm Kernmantle Rope Supple to handle and easy to adjust robust rope construction for durability.
- 3 Alloy Screw-gate Karabiners Captivating eye onto device and line to ensure correct loading and prevent loss.
Additional SpanSet Features:
- Individual Serial Numbering – All SpanSet Height safety products are individually serial numbered for traceability.
Product Records and Information
What paperwork is supplied?
The following paper work is included with this product:
- Multilingual Instructions with pictorial guide
- Individual Product History Card – This record card contains all the documentation required to maintain the product. The front forms the European Declaration of Conformity and the table on the reverse can be completed to form the inspection record.
- Pocket Inspection Guide – This simple to follow pocket card identifies the key areas requiring inspection.
What training is required?
Although in itself this is a simple item to use, there are three stages that should be considered as part of the process as a whole. Training is available for all the stages outlined at the SpanSet training school in Middlewich or subject to suitability on a site of your choice:
- Assessment and planning – Training Module 9 Management of Work At Height
- Use – Training Module 1 Height Safety Equipment Appreciation and Inspection followed by an appropriate practical module.
- Inspection and Maintenance – Training Module 1 and Module 7 Competent Person Practical Inspection & Record Keeping.
- All training for work at height is conducted in accordance with BS8454:2006 and is audited as part of our ISO9001:2008 quality management system.
For additional information on training please contact us.
PLEASE NOTE! that controlled rate descender (CRD) rescue devices are made to order and thus classified special order, non-returnable except for manufacturing fault.
Controlled Rate Descender
Abseiling Height upto
Controlled Rate Descents
Maximum Number of Persons
Abseiling Speed m/s
Maximum Working Load (kg)
Constant Rate Descenders
Industrial or Sport Use
CE EN341 Class A